Is it us, or has coverage been a bit muted for this year’s Big Game? Maybe there’s other stuff going on in the world… At any rate, there IS a game on Sunday. Between two teams. Although most of the coverage seems to focus on two guys. One of whom plays for Atlanta (and is the likely NFL MVP). The other of whom is Tom Brady, who folks seem to agree is pretty good. Maybe the best ever at what he does.
- Oh. Julio Jones is pretty good, too.
- Ian O’Connor over at ESPN asks which recent dynasty reigns supreme: The Patriots or the Yankees? It’s a fun read for several reasons, not the least of which is the comparison between Patriots kickers Vinatieri/Gostkowski and Yankees closer Mariano Rivera.
- Betting on the game? Bill Barnwell’s comprehensive – and we mean comprehensive – prediction for the big game. This guy knows a little about football.
- Interested in pitching mechanics? Of course you are. Why wouldn’t you be interested? It’s not like they determine pitcher success or failure, or anything like that. It’s not like they make or break careers, or anything like that. Rickey Mears has launched his fascinating Innings Pitched site, which, according to its founder, “aims to bridge the gap between the numbers and the mechanics of pitchers.” Plate Coverage readers were introduced to Mears last year when he analyzed how Rick Porcello Went from Afterthought to Ace, and his new site is just as meticulous and thoughtful.
- The Toronto Blue Jays filled a glaring outfield need by signing bat-flipping, trash-talking, punch-taking, HR-hitting slugger Jose Bautista for the 2017. More than one observer of the game has wondered if Bautista is more trouble than he’s worth, but Shaun Doyle at Jaysfromthecouch.com says Bautista has plenty left in the tank.
- The Baseball Bloggers Alliance has re-launched its website, and it’s a great place to start if you’re looking for alternative voices on the game (Plate Coverage is one of about 200 members). If you can imagine the baseball-related topic or interest, BBBA probably has it covered in some way, shape or form.